The AONB Planning Liaison Officer continued to provide specialist advice on AONB planning related issues and consultation. Assisting local authorities, parish councils and NAAONB. Key areas of work have included:
Hinkley C Connection
• Attended 7 Landscape and Visuals Thematic Group meetings.
• Contributed to the Joint Somerset Councils’ responses on the Preliminary Environmental Impact Review (PEIR), the Landscape Strategy and the Draft Environmental Statement (ES)
• Responded on behalf of the AONB Partnership to the Preliminary Environmental Impact Review (PEIR), the Landscape Strategy and the Draft Environmental Statement (ES).
• Submitted outline compensation funded projects via Somerset County Council
In response to Longleat Estates’ anticipated planning application for a cable car at Cheddar Gorge, collected evidence to help inform decision making and worked with National Trust, Somerset CPRE and Keep Cheddar Gorgeous to address issues and develop alternative visions.
Developed and published the Mendip Hills AONB Partnership Fracking Position Statement and produced press release.
Planning applications – Commented on 21 significant planning applications, including applications for; wind turbines, holiday accommodation, housing and agricultural buildings.
• Natural England’s Viewshed Analysis
• Natural England/AONB Planning protocol
• North Somerset’s Renewable Energy Policy
• Sedgemoor’s Economic Development Policy
• Bristol Airport’s flight path changes
• Bristol Water’s 2nd Cheddar reservoir LVIA viewpoints
• Somerset Minerals Plan
• Scoping options for solar array at Tynings Farm
• Major housing development in Winscombe
Advice & support
• Priddy Parish Council. Attended 2 meetings to help to encourage awareness of Landscape Character Assessment and Historic Landscape Characterisation in the development of a Conservation Area Appraisal.
• Cheddar Parish Council. Attended 2 meetings to help to encourage awareness of Landscape Character Assessment, Historic Landscape Characterisation and an encourage awareness of Sensitivity to help inform the emerging Neighbourhood Plan.
AONB Policy/ Evidence development
The Planning Liaison Officer has attended:-
Somerset Energy Minerals Topic Group
Western Power stakeholder workshops
Mendip Planning Group